LONDON: Lunchtime action 1-2pm, outside Tescos – opposite Russell Square tube station (Piccadilly line)
Urge shoppers to boycott Israeli goods. Bring your union banners.
Supermarket phone-in: Morrisons and Sainsbury”s
Phone Morrisons; 0845 611 6111 (Lines open 730 a.m. – 6.30 p.m.
Phone Sainsbury: 0800 636 262 (lines open 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.)
More info at: www.palestinecampaign.org/day-of-action
BNC calls for Global BDS Day of Action: 9th July – get involved now!
To mark the fifth anniversary since the call for BDS against Israel until it complies with international law, the Boycott National Committee has called on supporters to organise a BDS day of action
PSC urges all its supporters and branches to mark the date by:
Organising supermarket actions. Many trade unions have now taken up the call for boycott and the TUC has called for a Ban on settlement goods. Contact your local trade union branches to organise a joint action.
Previous successful actions have included direct action; leafleting or protesting outside supermarkets, bombarding supermarkets with phone calls about stocking Israeli goods.
1) PHONE IN – Target for action: Morrison”s and Sainsbury”s
* Phone Morrisons; 0845 611 6111 (Lines open 730 a.m. – 6.30 pm)
* Phone Sainsbury: 0800 636 262 (lines open 8 a.m. – 7 pm)
For suggestions on questions to ask, and points to make during the phone call follow this link >>
2) MEDIA – Prepare press releases for local press, radio and TV. Organise to get on local phone- ins. Ask local public figures for support. See our local media strategy for tips.
3) MATERIALS – contact the PSC office to order:
* Boycott Israeli Goods leaflet
* Ban settlement goods postcards
* Postcard for supermarket managers
* Posters for supportive shops
* BDS factsheet
* TUC/PSC: “Would you buy stolen goods?” leaflet
* TUC/PSC: “Ban them, don”t buy them” briefing
5) LOBBY: Organise a visit to your MP”s surgery on the 9th/10th July and urge them to apply pressure on the Foreign Office to ban the import of settlement goods. For model letters, e-tools and our campaign tool-kit visit: www.palestinecampaign.org/ban-settlement-goods
6) CHECK THE LABEL – Ramadhan 2010: ” I won”t break my fast with Israeli dates” PSC is working in partnership with Friends of Al-Aqsa and Zaytoun to urge Muslims not to open their fast with Israeli dates from illegal settlements – and support Palestinian farmers by ordering dates from them instead. Contact the office to order the leaflets – and get in touch with local Friends of Al Aqsa groups or Muslim organisations to leaflet mosques, shops and other local places.
For more information visit: www.palestinecampaign.org/check-the-label-dates